Many women are interested in learning more about the “Abortion Pill” and how it works.
At Oasis, we want you to know all of the information you need to know in order to make informed decisions.
If you are considering the Abortion Pill, please request an appointment at our office to come on in and we will give you all the details you will need. Our appointments are both FREE and confidential.
5 Things You Need to Know about
the Abortion Pill
1. The Abortion Pill is NOT the same thing as the “Morning After Pill.”
The Abortion Pill and the Morning-After Pill are 2 different pills.
The Morning-After Pill is EMERGENCY contraception. It may prevent fertilization or implantation. The Abortion Pill, on the other-hand, is used after you have a confirmed pregnancy and the Abortion Pill will terminate the life of the already formed embryo or fetus.
2. The Abortion Pill does not work alone. You need up to FIVE pills and at least 3 Doctor Visits.
The Abortion Pill (also called RU-486) does not work alone.
On your first visit to the doctor, you will need to take three pills of mifepristone (also know as the abortion pill). This drug works by cutting off the supply of nutrients and blood to your developing embryo or fetus which results in its death.
After the fetus is dead, you still need to expel your fetus from your body. You must return to the doctor 2 days later to take another drug called misoprostol which will cause your uterus to contract and expel (similar to going into labor). You might also have to take antibiotics.
On the third visit, the doctor will check to see that the abortion is complete. However, 1-4% of women will need surgery to terminate the pregnancy.
3. You should NOT use the Abortion Pill if you have certain health issues.
Women with certain health issues should not use the abortion pill. These issues include:
- High Blood Pressure
- Heart Disease
- Bleeding Problems
- Uncontrolled Diabetes
- Pregnancy outside the uterus (ectopic)
- Have an IUD in place
4. You should NEVER purchase the Abortion Pill ONLINE
Please do not attempt to purchase the Abortion Pill online.
First of all, it is ILLEGAL to see it online. That is a red-flag in and of itself.
In addition, the quality of the medication is not reliable and very dangerous side effects can occur. You don’t knwo what you are purchasing when you purchase this online.
5. You will still NEED an ULTRASOUND
Since the Abortion Pill will not work in the case that the pregnancy is ectopic, you will need an ultrasound to determine the following:
1) That the pregnancy is viable (1 in 4 pregnancies end in miscarriage and you can have a positive test for a non-viable pregnancy which has already terminated on its own).
2) To see if the pregnancy is in the uterus.
Oasis offers FREE ultrasounds. If you are thinking about the Abortion Pill, come see us in Land O Lakes or Wesley Chapel before spending money on expensive doctor visits and ultrasounds. Call (813) 406-4965 to set your FREE and confidential appointment.
- Robert A. Hatcher, MD, MPH, et al., Contraceptie Technology, 19th Revised Edition (New York: Ardent Media, Inc., 2007), p.654
- National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health, Drug Information: Mifepristone; nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a600042.html
- FDA Medication Guide: Mifeprex; fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/DrugSafety/UCM088643.pdf; p17
- FDA Drug Safety: Mifeprex Questions and Answers; Question 4; fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/PostMarketDrugSafetyInformationforPatientsandProviders/uc111328.htm
- FDA Drug Safety: Mifeprex;fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/PostMarketDrugSafetyInformationforPatientsandProviders/uc111323.htm
- FDA Drug Label Information: Mifiprex; pages 5, 7; accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2005/020687s013lbl.pdf